Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Oban 1968

Oban is known as the "Gateway to the Western Isles" and is the main town in Argyll.

My aunts and I went to Oban for the weekend in 1968 and stayed in a guest house. These are just a few of the photos which I took then.

Some of the town and McCaig's Folly behind. We spent some time up there wandering around, I remember!


I think this was near to where we stayed but I can't remember for certain


Ganavan Sands, Oban

It was a lot cheaper to park in those days!

Clachan Bridge, more commonly known as the "Bridge over the Atlantic" connecting Seil island with the mainland. The original design, by John Stevenson, was for a two-arched bridge but this was modified to one arch when it was built by Robert Mylne in 1792.

A good website to learn more about Oban, with some great (and modern!) photos: Click here

No comments: