Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Isle of Skye

I went to the Isle of Skye with my aunt in 1980 - my gerbils went too because there was no one to look after them! Their big cage can be seen below on the back seat of the car. We went over on the ferry from the Kyle of Lochalsh to Kyleakin because the bridge wasn't built until 1995.

We stayed at "Woodside" in lovely Portree

Mrs Davidson at the front door (she didn't mind having gerbils in the bedroom!!)

A visit to beautiful Uig to find an elderly friend's brother's house though we didn't have the address. However, he had lived there most of his life and was quite well known. We stopped to ask someone if they knew where it was and, amazingly, we had parked right outside the very house we were looking for!

One reason for going to Skye was to visit the Gaelic college as I was very keen on learning at the time. It was very disappointing that the people who worked there at the time weren't at all friendly or interested in talking to me. It was quite a blow to my enthusiasm for a while as I had looked forward to going there since it opened in 1973. Hopefully it is quite different now, all these years later. It's certainly much bigger since those days, with new buildings added to the renovated barn, and there are a lot of courses on offer. Here is the website.

Here I am with Aunt Gwen, clutching a few Gaelic books which I bought.

We also visited Dunvegan castle - this is the only photo I have unfortunately, but the website is here.

Here are the Undiscovered Scotland web pages for North Skye and South Skye. There are many links and photos to make up for the lack of mine! I'd love to return there one day.

No comments: